MUSIC THERAPY (MT)
Simply put, it is using music to achieve non-musical goals.
Research shows that Music Therapy (MT) has the power to change lives by:
· Managing pain and discomfort
· Reducing anxiety and stress
· Facilitating socialization and self-expression
· Stimulating cognitive functioning which can
enable speech/language and motor skills
Music Therapy (MT) is a well-established allied health profession similar to occupational therapy and physical therapy. It’s the use of music interventions to accomplish goals related to physical, psychological, cognitive and/or social functioning. These goals are addressed by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program.
Clinical and evidence-based research shows a connection between:
Singing -> Speech
Rhythm -> Gross motor function
Memory for song -> Memory for academic material
Preferred music -> Improved mood and behavior
Improved mood and behavior -> Optimal learning environment
How Does Music Therapy Make a Difference with Young Children?
Quality learning and maximum participation occur when children are permitted to experience the joy of play. Music stimulates all of the senses, and involves the child at many levels. This “multimodal approach” facilitates several developmental skills.
· Music is highly motivating, yet it can also have a calming and relaxing effect.
· MT can help a child manage pain and stressful situations. MT may provide a distraction from the pain, discomfort, and anxiety often associated with some illnesses or physical disabilities.
· Enjoyable music activities are designed to be success-oriented and make children feel better about themselves.
· Music can encourage socialization, self-expression, communication, and motor development.
· Music can be used to motivate movements or structure exercises that are prescribed in physical rehabilitation.
· Rhythmic movement helps develop gross motor skills (mobility, agility, balance, coordination) as well as respiration patterns and muscular relaxation.
· Because the brain processes music in both hemispheres, music can stimulate cognitive functioning and may be used for remediation of some speech/language skills.
Participation in MT offers opportunities for learning, creativity and expression that are signiﬁcantly different from more traditional educational/therapeutic approaches. And because MT is a powerful and non-threatening medium, unique and impressive outcomes are possible.
KIDLINKS & MT
KidLinks has a long history of providing Music Therapy for children in need, as well as funding the development of university-level curriculum and a clinic for students to be mentored by board-certified Music Therapists.
With help from many generous donors, KidLinks has made a direct and meaningful impact in the lives of children across Texas. We are also proud to say that our support of higher education has inspired many young adults to make a direct impact by becoming music therapists.
©2017 by KidLinks